Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Easter!

Wishing Jelly Beans & Chocolate Bunnies to all!


Running..............

The running week started off well. I ran intervals on Tuesday; starting with a 2 mile warm-up, followed by 8 quarter-mile intervals and finishing with a 1 mile cool-down. I Felt Great! Not sure what my times were because my Garmin battery was dead, again. I really have to make an effort to make sure I am charging the battery!

Friday I did my long, beach run. The scenery, as usual, was beautiful. The beaches were packed with Spring Breakers. I saw several UF students (Go Gators!!) as well as some from Univ of Tenn. The temp was in the upper 70's and there was a good breeze. Around mile 8, my knees (mostly the left one) really started to hurt. My great run was turning into a "grunt" run. I stopped a couple of times, but that only made it feel worse when I started running again. I finished 13.95 miles in 2:38:00, for an average pace of 11:13 Yuck!!!! Not a good run. Plus, I finished all my sports drink at mile 10 so I had to go almost 4 miles with no fluids. And, to top it off, I forgot to put sunscreen on my shoulders and ended up with a nice sunburn. Remind me why I am doing all this??????

Saturday the knee still hurt so I decided to take a rest day figuring I could easily run 5 miles on Sunday. Well Sunday came and it was still a bit sore. I was going back and forth; I should run today, I should take another day off. Well, the rain came down and that about answered it for me. Rest day it was! I ended the week with 4 rest days and 3 workout days. Compare this to last week where I had ZERO rest days, I still ended up getting in my 3 karate classes and my total mileage for the week is only about 1.25 miles less. So, hard week, then easier week. Not a bad concept. Although, that means this coming week needs to be another hard week.


Karate...........

I guess to make up for my "not-so-good" running week, I had a really good karate week. I went to Tuesday morning class (after my 5 miles of running) and Wednesday 5pm class. I know know why my usual Wednesday 8:30pm sparring class has so few ladies; it's because they all go to the 5pm class! I had some great bugo rounds and no intimidation!! Friday night was BBC night; the curriculum was MMA (mixed martial arts) part 3 and we had the honor of having Kyoshi teach the class.

The Kiddo's sports.......

Lauren did well pitching and fielding at her softball game on Tuesday. The Twisters won 8-5, so they are now 2-1 for the season. Ryan had 2 baseball games this week. He did well on Thursday; hitting a home run and striking out 2 batters. His team is 2-2. The kids are on Spring Break this week but because the softball and baseball schedules follow the public school Spring Break schedule (which is the following week), both kids have games this week. So Mark's plan of taking them to Orlando looks like it's out of the picture.

Other stuff.....

During a long run a couple of weeks ago, I thought of a "catchy" running website name. When I checked, I was surprised to see the domain was available, so I bought it. I'm not really sure what I want to do with it yet. And, it's not like I have a lot of time for another "project", but I've started playing around creating a website. I could just move my blog to the new website and have more "room/pages" for other stuff. But I'm not sure. So I'll keep playing with it until the next "inspiration" hits me.

Pharmacy.......
And now to talk about work, something I have purposely not blogged much about. I'm pretty much in the "damned if I do, damned if I don't" position. I stepped down from a high-stress management position to a "staff" pharmacist position to improve the quality of life (eg. have time to run, go to karate, see my kids, etc.). But, 1 year out and I am not being challenged. I don't dread going into work, probably because I really like the people I work with. But I'm not excited to go to work. So, a while back I put my name out to a recruitor and started watching the job sites. In the past couple weeks, I actually got calls on 2 different positions. I went ahead and interviewed for both of them. The 1st was for a Pharmacy Manager position in a "teaching" pharmacy. The pay/benefits/schedule are very similar to what I have currently. The 2 advantages would be more autonomy that what I currently have (anything is better than micromanagement) and the opportunity to mentor students which I thoroughly enjoy. The 2nd interview was for a director position and definitely presents a greater challenge. I think I interviewed well and I think they are interested in me. They said there would be a 2nd interview so hopefully I'll get a call this week. If it's meant to be, it will happen; if not, it won't.

Quit Report.....

Today is 47 days without a cigarette. On Ash Wedneday, February 6th I chose to give up smoking for Lent, knowing it would be something I would "suffer" through. And I have. It hasn't been easy. Every day I think about smoking. But for some reason, be it my personal conviction, the stars all in alignment or divine intervention, I have resisted the strong and frequent temptations to smoke again. Most years I looked forward to Easter Sunday to end my "suffering", to give in to temptation and partake in whatever it was that I gave up (eg. ice cream, soda). But not this year. This Easter I am not looking to end my suffering. I am working to end my 25 year addiction to tobacco and I know it will take more than 1 Lenten Season! It may take years. But, now that I'm not smoking, I'll have those extra years!!!

Happy Easter & God Bless




No comments:

Post a Comment